LA FAMIGLIA LA STORIA

The origins of our family are rooted in Montefalco where it has always lived and cultivated land since 1568, as documented in the Historical Archives of the Municipality.

In 1827 the property was managed by the heir Maria Aloisa Moncelli, a woman of great culture and wisdom who gained the name of “La Veneranda” (The Venerable). In those years the Noble Maria Aloisa dedicated herself with great passion and care to carry on the production in her lands, the same passion handed down from mother to daughter over the generations up to the present days.

La Veneranda is an exclusively female-run winery where Eleonora Alessandrelli and Anna Rita Scarca, with the love for their land passed on to them by their families, take care of the farm by committing themselves to the enhancement of Montefalco wines and the preservation of our beautiful land.

The first label of La Veneranda made its debut in 2005, thus sanctioning the introduction of our bottled wines in the national and international markets.

While remaining a small reality, we fully follow the wine production chain: from the cultivation of vines to the grape harvesting, from the winemaking to bottling and sales.

The fourteen hectares of vineyard in the area of Montefalco are located at an altitude of 300 m. s.l.m., where the soil has sedimentary origin and it is weakly clayey.

The other two hectares of vineyards are located in the area between Foligno and Spoleto. The vines are mainly exposed to the south east – with vines that reach the age of 40 years and are cultivated with the spurred cordon system. Our winery is committed to the preservation and cultivation of indigenous vines such as Sagrantino, Grechetto and Sangiovese.

Pruning and harvesting are performed exclusively by hand to keep the bunches intact until the pressing stage. The land is cultivated with care, respecting sustainable viticultural practices as regulated by the strict Montefalco wine production disciplinary. The respect for the environment is very important for us: the use of clean energy for all the machineries in the cellar is powered by renewable energy since the beginning of 2019, when our company joined the project “100% Clean Energy” promoted by NWG.